Recipe adapted from Alice Medrich for Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker
Makes 12 cupcakes | Preparation: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (7.3 ounces) sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee (recommended: Starbucks Via)
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup chocolate covered toffee bits
1. Add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a blow and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Add the butter and egg mixture and beat for 20 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the hot coffee. Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour. Divide it evenly among the lined cups. Bake 18-22 minutes just until a toothpick inserted into a few of the cupcakes comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool. Frost the cupcakes when they are completely cool. Store and serve at room temperature.
TIP: For light tender cupcakes, spoon flour and cocoa lightly into measuring cups (instead of dipping the cups into the flour or cocoa) and then sweep the measures level without tapping or shaking them.
• 5 large egg whites
• 11/2 cup sugar
• 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 1/3 cup caramel sauce (click here for a homemade caramel recipe)
1. Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 150 degrees F while whisking constantly.
2. Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until mixture cools and doubles in volume.
3. Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking-this is normal. Keep mixing and it will become even and smooth again. Add salt and vanilla and mix to combine. Add caramel sauce and mix to combine.
Chocolate Dipping Sauce
• 2/3 cups dark chocolate
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
• 5-8 tablespoons water, warm
1. Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
To assemble cupcake:
1. To frost the cupcakes: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and start piping from the outside working in to the center to create one even layer. Freeze cupcakes for 20 minutes before dipping in warm chocolate sauce, so that the frosting does not melt. Remove cupcakes and dip in warm chocolate sauce, and then rim with chocolate covered toffee bits. Return cupcakes to freezer for five minutes for chocolate to set. Remove from freezer and finish piping frosting on top.
CHOCOLATE NOUGAT CUPCAKESIngredients for 6 cupcakes:
- 1 egg
- 65 gr of butter
- 65 g of chocolate nougat (which you like best, I used the Suchard)
- 65 gr of flour
- 55 gr of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powderFor the chocolate nougat ganache:
- 175 gr chocolate nougat
- 85 grams of whipping cream, 35% grasaç matterThe ganache is best to prepare the day before. The first thing we must do to remove annoying puffed rice grain is crushed. The problem of grinding the chocolate is heated by centrifugation and we can undo, but that is easily solved. Ideally, to do this is to have a stand mixer with chopper attachment . We take the glass of the blender, put the blades, and put the party nougat pieces. Cover with lid and put it in the freezer for an hour or less. After this time, we cut the nougat with quick and short, at intervals of 1-2 seconds, for no more than a minute. We will see that the nougat is quite crushed. what we put in the freezer about 10 minutes and repeat the process. With this we should have a cooler dust and nothing melted nougat.Put the cream in a bowl and heated in the microwave on high for 30 - 40 seconds (you can also put the fire until it starts to boil). We took the microwave (or remove from the heat) and add the nougat powder, stirring with a whisk until we have a homogeneous mixture. Let cool and not hot when we keep in the fridge until the next day.To prepare cupcakes, as always, pre-heat the oven (this time I’ve made 150 º - 170 º if not air) and prepare the tray with the capsules for cupcakes.We nougat, out of very small pieces and butter in a bowl and heated in the microwave on high for 20 seconds. We beat with mixer until the two ingredients are incorporated. Add the sugar, then egg, flour and yeast essence, beating each time until the new ingredients are well mixed.We distributed the mixture into the pan and bake about 20 minutes, as long as the oven. Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes and took the cupcakes from the pan. Let cool on wire rack.To use the ganache, take it out of the refrigerator and let it warm up a bit. After we broke to take a little air, give us a better consistency and soften a poco.Ya is only put into the pastry bag with the nozzle we prefer (in this case I have not wanted to risk and I used the Wilton 1M ) and decorate to taste.